To qualify for the Teacher Residency Program, you need to qualify for the UW-Madison master’s program first! For our master’s program, we require:
- a bachelor’s degree with a 3.0 GPA or higher (if it’s below 3.0, please contact us to discuss)
- 2 letters of recommendation
- a statement of purpose explaining why you’re interested in becoming a special education teacher, including experiences in education and/or working with people with disabilities. Please mention that you are interested in TRP in your statement.
- current resume
- no GRE is required.
To then qualify for the Teacher Residency Program (TRP), you need to:
- be a U.S. citizen
- not currently be in a licensed position within Milwaukee Public Schools (MPS)
- agree to work in special education within MPS for 3 years after graduation
- apply to and be hired by Milwaukee Public Schools. Here is the posting for the Teacher Resident position.
Deadline for complete application 11:59pm on March 4th, 2024. Applicants will be notified of admission decisions on April 5th, 2024.
Ready to apply?
Applicants will need to (a) complete the UW grad school application and (b) complete the MPS Teacher Resident Job Application. You can complete these applications in any order.
Grad Program Application
Note that you are applying for the UW-Madison Special Education Teacher Residency Program in your Personal Statement. Apply for Summer Term 2024.
If you have questions about the TRP Program or need assistance with the graduate school application, please contact:
TRP Program Manager
University of Wisconsin-Madison
MPS Job Application
If you have questions about the MPS job application or need assistance accessing the job application, please contact:
Pa N. Xiong
Talent Management Specialist
Milwaukee Public Schools